The Victorian Government has made changes to the VBA’s powers and functions under the Building Act 1993. If you are a building practitioner, building surveyor or owner-builder, some of these changes may affect your obligations under the law.
The first set of changes comes into effect on 4 July 2016. They include:
- the extension of the VBA’s inspection powers to owner-built sites
- new offences for undertaking work without a building permit
- changes to powers to issue directions, notices and orders
- a requirement on private building surveyors not to act where there is a conflict of interest
- provision of a checklist for use by relevant building surveyors lodging building permits to councils